This year has been a big one for Access Afya. We opened a new clinic, started selling healthcare in the field, and grew our team.
We started the year with seven full-time people and our team has now grown to sixteen. We have welcomed Andy McBride as our COO and Margaret Kiplagat as our Talent Director. Andy brings his background in leadership development and business analysis to implement our strategy, and Margaret brings her decade experience in healthcare management to current and future talent development and ensuring patient engagement and experience.
We opened our second micro-clinic this year, which has seen over 1,000 patients. Our first clinic, called Kisii Village, has experienced 130% growth in revenue since January, and our new clinic, in Jamaica Village, has had revenue growth of 70% since it opened in March. At this rate, we project both of the clinics to be fully self-sustainable by mid-2015.
This year we started delivering healthcare directly in the community surrounding our clinics. Our Healthy Schools program is a really innovative way to reach the children in the slums by selling primary healthcare and wellness interventions directly to their schools. Each child in our program gets a daily healthy snack, a check-up once each term, and a health report card to take home. The participating schools get WASH interventions and education, teacher check-ups, and a deworming drive. The results are compelling: attendance increased from 69% to 96% and the need for clinical referrals reduced from 32% to 16% in the first school we worked with.
We have set goals for the next year. Some of our 2015 highlights will include:
- Healthy Schools will grow to 700 children, which will bring it to full sustainability.
- We will pilot healthcare products at our clinics, including membership cards and group chronic care.
- We will develop two more field-based care sales offerings similar to our work with schools.
- We will open two new micro-clinics at the end by the year.
To do this we will need your continued support.
- We are hiring a Medical Director, and a Client Acquisition Lead and would love your recommendations!
- We are looking for experts in impact analysis to work with us on measuring and communicating our impact.
On behalf of the entire Access Afya team, we wish everyone continued success in 2015!
Founder and Director, Access Afya
*Access Afya has partnered with donor-advised fund SharedImpact, meaning donors in the US, UK, and Hong Kong can give tax-efficiently and conveniently. Click here to donate today!